Meredith

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Van-braham


God it's hot. And I owe $75.00 to the library (shhh...don't tell Van). See Van is the type who sees nothing wrong with his own spending, because, I imagine, he thinks his spending is on the "necessities" like going to the 'house of rock'..his newest hang-out and my latest disdain. But if he found out about the library fees (which he most likely will because I think he likes to check this blog to make sure I'm 'being good') he would give me the "meredith, I guess you just shouldn't go to the library anymore".... which means I then have to make secret trips to the library, pay off the fines in secret and hide any library books I bring home. He's a great husband and father but when it comes to money his name might as well be Abraham. I knew this well before we married and while my own thriftiness revels in being with a man who gets just as excited over a good deal as I do, we clash when either of us does any "uneccessary" spending, like his bar hopping and my...well I guess my lack of ability to return books on time.
I was also almost banned from the garden shops because as much as I love buying plants and gardening in the spring, once it gets hot, the pitiful things always die from lack of care while I hide in the air conditioning. So this year I have been extra vigilant about the watering and I have a secret weapon...Miracle Grow, which, of course, I bought secretly because Van would have scoffed at spending nearly $20 on plant food. Now our water bill is nearly double but the flowers look fabulous and I'm hoping next spring I can mention how great my plants looked 'last year' and will get his blessing for any impulsive plant purchases I make. Van recently looked at my petunia's and sighed "so I guess these don't come back?". No Van they don't. Sorry.
We're still waiting to see if aunt/cousin whoever, will drive the RV down here from Chicago or if we are going to have to make a trek up there to get it. It's always a good idea to be in the car for hours along desolute Illionois highways when you're ready to deliver a baby at any time. But hey, it's a 'good deal' so we are both excited about it...oh and I hear it's going to the float trip this year. I don't know if anyone else will be making it this year but Van and his RV will be there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home